We all have to let go. But how do we actually do it? It sounds so simple, right? That's something I have been struggling with for years, and I am finally starting to let go myself, especially after my younger brother died. I just know, even more than before now, how precious, short and valuable life is, and I will do everything that I can to live my life to the fullest and inspire and help as many people as I can along my journey.
Of course we all have our doubts, fears, struggles and excuses, that's normal and just a natural part of the process. What's even more important is how you deal with all that. If you want to succeed in anything in life you need to have a great mindset, you need to let go of your ingrained thoughts that you may have grown up with, parents expectations, friends, co-workers etc., the list goes on. The only person who can tell you what to do is yourself. If you think that you will fail, you will fail. If you think you will succeed, you may also fail along the journey to get there, but I wouldn't call it a failure, since we keep moving forward and eventually reach our goals and become successful.
Let Go Book Review
Just two days before the interview with Pat Flynn, I read his bestselling book Let Go. It's a pretty quick read, and it comes in different forms, like a kindle version, audio and even videos to go along with some of the chapters. Pat shares his personal story and entrepreneurial journey, how it all started many years ago in Let Go. What I found really cool about this particular book is that it is published on the new platform called Snippet app and Pat was one of the first authors to actually be published on there. The book is just so inspiring, with many quotes and shared wisdom. There are so many life lessons you can learn from Pat's personal story in this book, and that's why I decided to record a video review of Let Go just on time for Let Go Day, where I show you around a bit on Pat's different sites, and why I liked the book so much and WHY you should read the book as well, or at least I hope you will.
Interview with Pat Flynn for Let Go Day 2013
I am super excited to have Pat Flynn, founder of the Smart Passive Income Blog, on for my first interview ever, and I am also an ambassador for his bestselling book Let Go for the special Let Go Day which celebrates exactly 5 years after Pat Flynn let go and got laid off from his job. In the video interview I did with Pat, he shares his story of how he let go, creates passive income and makes a great living online ($50,000-$60,000 each month according to his monthly income reports on the blog, that's what I call transparency!). He also gives very actionable smart tips and other great advice for first time entrepreneurs who want to get started online and create their own businesses around their desired lifestyle and passion. There are many takeaways from this interview which you will find summarized below. But first, please watch the video interview and let me know what you think in the comment section of this post.
(Apologies for the quality of the recording on a flew spots on this interview, where it cuts out a bit, hope it is still listenable and you can get some value out of it. Bare with me, after all it was my first and I am glad I could get Skype to work properly with the recording software that I use, thanks!)
Pat's Recommendations For First Time Entrepreneurs
- Try to figure out a problem or a pain that a certain group of people have and what you can do to potentially help them. The first thing you should do is trying to dissect the problem. It might be a problem that you have, that you're trying to solve or someone else or other people who always come to you to solve their specific types of problems.
- You don't have to be the expert.
- All you have to know is a little bit more than someone else in order to become an expert in their eyes and to be able to help them and provide value to them.
- Share that message and knowledge you have with the world – blogging, podcasting, YouTube. Choose the platform that you are the most comfortable with. You can also combine all three into your brand, just like Pat Flynn does, and that's something to work and strive for.
- Whatever platform you choose to share your message on, it is important just to start building that audience and create an email list and start to provide great value. Start to build your email list from day one!
Resources and Tools For Starting an Online Business
How to Start Your Own Podcast/Show
- Podcasting Tutorial – a tutorial that Pat Flynn created and it's absolutely FREE. Six steps video series, step by step, what microphones to get, how to set up everything, how to make your show interesting and how get ranked in iTunes and all that good stuff you would need.
Pat Flynn knows a thing or 100 about podcasting. His podcast the Smart Passive Income Podcast is approaching four million downloads since the first episode in July 2010, so if you are interested in podcasting or starting a show, do yourself a favor and check Pat's awesome in depth guide out. Nothing is left out.
Pat's Mentors and Inspirations When He Started Out
- Internet Business Mastery Podcast – This podcast by Jeremy Frandsen and Jason van Orden is awesome! and the one Pat started out with way back when he started out, and they inspired him a lot as well. I am currently following this podcast and it is just epic every time I tune in, so much value they provide. And if the podcast is good enough for Pat Flynn it should be good enough for you as well, so listen to a few episodes and find out for yourself. Absolutely great content totally delivered to you for FREE!
- Internet Business Mastery Academy * – This is the online training program and community Pat Flynn joined, and if it has helped Pat it should be able to help you as well if you take the right action. I am a member of this course by Jeremy and Jason, and the value you get if you join is amazing. Not only do you get a training program jam packed of great videos, sheet cheats etc. on how you can start your own online businesses around your desired lifestyle , but you also get access to a private Facebook group which is invaluable, and worth the price for this course alone. The group is very active and they are really helpful and I already met some great friends in there, just like Pat Flynn did when he started out and met Jeremy in San Diego. Experiences like that are truly life changing, and you get to see what is possible.
5 Life Lessons Learned by Pat Flynn
- Try to be more confident in yourself. That's really hard, but just try to believe in yourself and your ability. It's very important because if you don't think it's going to happen, it's not going to happen.
- If you don't think you can do something, you're right.
- Meet other people and being a part of like-minded people is so important. Do that right from the start, don't wait! Try to hook up with people who are trying to do the same thing as you or just find a community online where people are already doing what you want to do and just learn from them.
- Aks questions. Don't be afraid to ask questions and try to be friends with them. Form mastermind groups together.
- Nothing is more valuable than other people who can help you achieve you goals.
How to Find the “Right” People and Mentors and What to Look For
- Find people who sort of share the same values and goals as you do. Not necessarily do they have to do the same thing as you in the same market and they don't even have to be in the same location.
- It's about putting yourself out there and actually speaking up in these communities.
- Go to Google and look for forums related to topics that you're interested in and find great people.
- Go to Conferences and gatherings related to whatever you're interested in.
- Meetup.com – try to find people in your location who are into internet business or into whatever it is that you want to do.
- You are going to make connections that are going to change your life and it just takes ONE person with either an idea or a connection, or an opportunity to change the course for the rest of your life.
- The power of creating being part of Mastermind groups is invaluable and will help you get on the right track and stay accountable for you actions and the goals you set for your business and life. It can definitely fast track your progress to success online. Check out the bonus resource below on how to create your ultimate mastermind team.
If you want your music to grow or you want your brand to grow, or if you want to figure things out online, get offline and meet people in person. – David Hooper
How to Create Your Ultimate Mastermind Team (freebie) – The key to building a successful online business is being surrounded by like-mided people, and I the best way to do this is by joining a mastermind group. Because they want you to succeed and you will help each other stay accountable and take massive action towards your goals. Liz Seda and Scott Dinsmore have put together this FREE guide on how to create an effective mastermind group. You won't find another free guide on mastermind groups, and if you do, it won't be as as good as this one.
Do You Have to Be Passionate About the Businesses You Start Online?
- You don't necessarily need a passion for the topic but you need a passion to help people.
- All successful businesses, focus on their target audience and what they want and what their problems are, what their issues are and how they can deliver them. That is what you really should be passionate about!
Pat's Book Recommendations
- Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life And Work by Chip & Dan Heath – It's about making decisions and also making the right decisions and that is very relevant to when you are just starting out online, when everything seems difficult, information overload and you get overwhelmed. This book will help you avoid that by making you take the right decision.
- Platform by Michael Hyatt – This is a great book, especially for beginners who are just starting out. This book sort of introduce them to really what works online and he talks about something called the “WOW factor”. It's easy to put a blog up. It's easy to start writing content but you're going to get lost in the crowd unless you provide something that brings the “WOW” and really gets people to turn their heads, start sharing you and it goes into a lot of details about how to use different social media platforms and things like that.
- 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferris – probably the most awesome book in the whole world and needs no further introduction. It is a classic that everybody should read, and you don't have to implement all his strategies if you don't want to. It is great to get into the mindset of sort of doing business and automating it and making your business work for you instead of you doing your business. It’s really important. This book changed my life, and was a big turning point for me, so do yourself a big favor and read it if you haven't done so already.
- Let Go Book
- Let Go Book
- Green Exam Academy
- Smart Passive Income Blog
- Smart Passive Income Podcast
- Podcasting Tutorial
- Pat's Youtube Channel
- Follow Pat on Twitter
- Pat's Facebook Fan Page
- It is all about the mindset. You need to understand that if you don't do anything, nothing is going to happen to you.
- Find certain people that you want to help and what their issues and pains are. Not just asking them on a surface level questions like, “What are you struggling with?” which is a great question to ask. But then you ask why or how come and just keep going deeper and deeper until you can get to the root of each of those issues and that’s going to help you determine sort of what to write about, what to create a site about, what products to create down the road where you don’t even have to guess anymore. A lot of people try to build businesses, guessing what people are going to like.Whatever it is that you end up doing, just enjoy it. It's just going to happen so much faster and be much easier for you.
- There are ways to just know and it is so exciting because when you know you have the power or the ability to either provide solution for people with specific pains, then it just reduces the risk factor and it just keeps you motivated because you know something is going to help.
- Then it's all about putting the word out there and connecting with other people, having other people just share your stuff because it' so good.
- Whatever market you get into, see what is already out there and try to connect with those competitors. Don't look at them as competitors. Think of them as potentials partners and then also see what they are doing and maybe see what they are doing right and using that as inspiration but also seeing where they may be missing some things that you can come in to that market and sort of provide something new.
- That gives you an advantage of starting NOW. You have an advantage because you have a bird's eyes view of everything that's going to and you can sort of chisel your way into a specific part of a specific market.
Finally, I just had to include the official trailer for Let Go, watch it, enjoy it and share it! It is a very inspiring and simply an amazing video.
If you enjoyed my first interview ever, please leave a comment below and start the discussion! I would love to know what you are struggling with in your online business and how you get over the fear of failure so you can take the right action.
Thanks for watching the interview and reading this post. Cheers!